Quaker Meeting Hall & Cemetery
Long before the Quakers (The Jerusalem Society of Friends, often called Friends) dared to meet openly, as they were a persecuted people, they had secret gatherings in private homes, barns, and cellars. In 1827, the Society of Friends, at a meeting in Jericho, resolved to build a meeting house in what was then called Jerusalem. The 34-foot by 28-foot house was constructed on Wantagh Avenue at the intersection of Twin Lane. The old building is now part of the plant of the First Baptist Church of Wantagh, just south of the Southern State Parkway.
The cemetery was added in 1861 and contains the graves of three Civil War veterans: Lt. H.R. Jackson; Gilbert Seaman, of the 139th Regiment of the New York Volunteers; and Charles Wilson, of the 119th Regiment of the New York Volunteers, who was wounded in the Battle of Gettysburg.
The Quaker Meeting House, like nearly every church in the early days, had a carriage shed at the rear so that horses and carriages could be driven under and the horses tied to fastenings at the back wall. This sheltered the horses from the elements, as religious services in the old days were considerably longer.