How do I claim Veterans Credits for military service on an examination?

To claim veteran credits on an examination/s, an applicant must have served in the United States Armed Forces at any time during the following dates:

  • World War II - December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
  • Korean Conflict - June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam Conflict - February 28, 1961, to and including May 7, 1975
  • Lebanon - June 1, 1983, to and including December 1, 1987
  • Grenada - October 23, 1983, to and including November 21, 1983
  • Panama - December 20, 1989, to and including January 31, 1990
  • Persian Gulf - August 2, 1990, to the end of such hostilities (not yet determined)

Credit for Lebanon, Grenada, and Panama will be limited to those who received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Navy Expeditionary Medal or the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. The DD-214 Form that has always been required to verify military service should also contain verification of possession of expeditionary medals for Lebanon, Grenada or Panama.

A disabled or non-disabled veteran who wishes to establish eligibility for additional credits MUST claim these credits with the filing of the application. The necessary forms are available in our Office. Non-disabled veterans will be awarded 5.0 points. Disabled veterans will be awarded 10.0 points. Disabled veterans must have a minimum of a 10% disability that can be verified by the Veteran's Administration. Promotional examination candidates will be awarded 2.5 credits for non-disabled veterans and 5.0 credits for disabled veterans. You will be allowed the option of waiving these credits after the completion of the examination or after the eligible list for the examination is established. Veteran Credits will be awarded only to passing candidates.

Note: If this commission is not in receipt of the necessary documentation, once the eligible list is established, you will not be granted veterans credits.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for an examination?
2. How do I apply for a fee waiver?
3. Will my application processing fee be refunded if my examination application is disapproved?
4. Do I have to be a Town of Hempstead resident to apply for the examination?
5. How do I know if I am qualified to take an exam? What happens if I am disqualified?
6. What should I submit as proof if the examination requires a high school diploma/equivalency or education beyond high school?
7. When will I receive my admittance notice?
8. Where are the examinations held?
9. What if I am signed up to take multiple examinations from different municipalities on the same day?
10. How do I request special arrangements for an examination?
11. Are there study guides available for the examinations?
12. What happens after I take the examination?
13. What happens if I move to a new address?
14. How do I claim Veterans Credits for military service on an examination?