- How long is my passport valid for?
An adult passport is valid for 10 years and a child passport is valid for 5 years.
- How long will it take to receive my passport?
Once your passport application has been completed at Hempstead Town Hall, it will be forwarded to the U.S. Department of State for processing the same day. Currently, you can expect to receive your passport within *Eight to Eleven weeks via first-class mail. *An expedited passport should be returned within Five to Seven weeks of receipt of the application (a $60 fee applies, payable by check or money order only). Please note that passport processing times at the U.S. Department of State will vary depending upon volume.
Same day Passport service is available by appointment only at the New York Passport Agency in New York City.
* Processing times are subject to change, for current processing times please refer to the U.S. Department of State website processing times.
- What do I need to apply for a passport?
You must have a completed passport application (which must be signed in front of a passport agent), proof of identification and citizenship, social security number, and two identical 2 by 2-inch color photographs taken within the past 6 months, showing the current appearance, full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background. (See "Where can I get my passport photographs taken?") Only separate checks or money orders will be accepted per application. Certified mailing fee and photo fee can be combined in one check for multiple applications.
- Where can I get my passport photographs taken?
The Town of Hempstead is truly a "one-stop" passport-servicing center. We are able to take the necessary photographs for your passport application for a $10 fee payable by cash, check, or money order.
- Are there special requirements for children's passports?
Yes, a child under the age of 16 must have both parents present to sign the application. However, there are exceptions to this rule:
- Legal guardians must present Original guardianship papers to apply for the child(ren) in their custody.
- In the circumstance where only one parent is present during the application process, the non-present parent must have a DS-3053 Statement of Consent form, along with either a photocopy of their Driver's License (Front and Back) or Passport.
- Children the age of 16 or 17 must have one parent present. Both the child and the parent need picture ID. Acceptable forms of ID for children are Student ID card, Employee ID Card and Health insurance card. For parents, we accept a Driver's License or Passport.
- Applicants 18 and over do not require a parent to be present.
- What are acceptable forms of identification?
Acceptable forms of ID are as follows: Valid NY Driver's License, Passport, original naturalization papers (recently issued).
- How do I renew my expired passport?
The United States Passport Agency has made renewing your passport very convenient. If all of the federally issued requirements have been met, all you need to renew your ten-year passport is a completed application (DS-82 form) and your expired passport. DS-82 applications are available at Hempstead Town's Passport Office. Renewals must be mailed directly to the Passport Processing Center listed on the DS-82 application. A five-year passport requires further documentation (see "Are there special requirements for children's passports?" above). For further information, please call 877-487-2778 or visit the Travel State website.
- What are the requirements to renew my expired passport?
Your passport is valid for a period of 10 years. You may renew your passport by providing your passport book, or passport card together with a completed DS-82 form (Application for U.S. Passport Renewal) and mail directly to the Passport Processing Center listed on the DS-82 application. DS-82 applications are available at Hempstead Town's Passport Office. If a period of up to 15 years has passed from the issue date, you will need to re-apply for a new passport. For further information, please call 877-487-2778 or visit the Travel State website.
- What happens if my passport is lost or stolen?
If your passport has been lost or stolen, a new application must be completed along with proof of citizenship and identity, and two new photographs. Form DS-64 "Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport" must also be completed and included with your passport application. All of these forms are available at the Town Clerk's office.
- What are the fees for a passport?
We collect passport fees, which are set according to federal guidelines. Processing fees vary depending on the type of passport and age of the applicant. Accepted forms of payment include personal checks and money orders. Credit cards are not accepted. View the current passport fees online.
Please note: For each individual passport application, you must have a separate check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for Passport, Expedite and Overnight Return fees. Execution, Photo, Certified Mail, and Overnight Mail fees can be paid by cash, check, or money order payable to Hempstead Town Clerk. Please do not pre-fill check amounts in advance as fees may vary with individual situations.
- I plan to travel outside the United States. How do I find out if a Travel Alert or Travel Warning has been issued for a specific country?
The public can obtain country-specific information, Travel Alerts, and Travel Warnings by visiting the U.S. Department of State website.