Marriage Ceremonies

Where a Marriage Can Take Place

A license issued by the Town of Hempstead Town Clerk's Office may only be used within New York State. Please note that if you intend to be married outside of New York State you should contact that state's Vital Records Office for its requirements.

Getting Married at Hempstead Town Hall

In-person wedding ceremonies are available at Hempstead Town Hall.  Please call 516-812-3014 to book your wedding ceremony.

There is no particular form or ceremony required except that the parties must state in the presence of an authorized member of the clergy or public official and at least one other witness that they take one another as a married couple. There is a minimum age of 18 to be a witness.


The Town Clerk's Office has a chapel available for small wedding ceremonies. Marriage ceremonies will be officiated by a Hempstead Town Marriage Officer by appointment only on Monday - Friday, from 10 am to 3 pm. 

The fee for the use of the chapel is $65. The chapel can only be booked after obtaining a New York State Marriage license. If the license was not issued by the Town of Hempstead marriage department, please come into our office with the original marriage license and valid I.D. to schedule a ceremony.

Who Can Perform the Ceremony

To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

  • The mayor of a city or village
  • The former mayor, the city clerk, or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants
  • A marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council
  • A justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of appeals for the second circuit, the u.s. District courts for the northern, southern, eastern, or western districts of New York, the New York State Court of Appeals, the appellate division of the new york state supreme court, the new york state supreme court, the court of claims, the family court, a surrogates court, the civil and criminal courts of new york city (including housing judges of the civil court) and other courts of record
  • A village, town, or county justice
  • A member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body
  • A member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs
  • An officiant who has received a One-Day Marriage Officiant approval in the jurisdiction from which the marriage license was obtained (valid for single ceremony only). 
  • Other officiants as specified by section 11 of the domestic relations law

A person performing a ceremony in New York City must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State.

Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State. A ship must be docked if a certified official is performing a ceremony on a boat.

View a list of Officials and Ministers who Perform Civil Marriage Ceremonies (PDF).