The Town of Hempstead Housing Authority will be accepting applications for affordable housing for elderly (62 plus) and disabled adults (receiving SSD or SSI) in our 14 complexes as well as affordable housing for families available at 2 of our complexes. To be qualified for admission, an applicant must:
- Have an annual income of no more than $66,450 for one person or $75,950 for two persons (as of 2020).
- Be a senior citizen (62 years or older) and/or a disabled adult as determined by the Social Security Administration (for senior housing).
- Have at least one child or are expecting one (for family housing).
- Not have any household members or guests engaged in any criminal activity that threatens the life, health, safety, or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents, or any drug-related criminal activity.
- Not have any household members subject to a lifetime sex offender registration in any state.
- Have not been evicted from any housing authority for non-payment of rent.
- Prior housing, credit, and criminal background will be checked.
Created to fulfill housing needs for the elderly and residents on limited incomes, the Housing Authority is the largest such agency in Nassau and Suffolk counties, and one of the largest in New York State. The Authority operates under the auspices of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, which provides construction funds for local housing at no cost to the town.
Board Of Commissioners
To address the problem of housing for senior citizens, the cities, towns, and some villages in Nassau County have built specially-designed housing projects for the middle and limited income groups. Income, assets, and residency requirements vary. Write to the Housing Authority in the appropriate city, town, or village for an application.
Other Senior Citizen Housing
There are a limited number of other housing developments. Preference is usually given to residents in the community of location.
Senior Living Resources
To view resources for other senior living options, including assisted living facilities, please visit the Senior Guidance website.
Section 8 Housing
Effective September 1, 2020, the Town of Hempstead Section 8 Housing Program was transferred to Nassau County. Any questions concerning this program should be directed to Nassau County by calling 572-1900.