Animal Control officers respond to reports of loose or stray dogs and injured or sick cats. To request Animal Control services, contact the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter at 516-785-5220. After hours, please contact the Department of Public Safety at 516-538-1900.
Please contact the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation for information about controlling nuisance wildlife (ie. raccoons, Canada geese, bats).
Come tour the Animal Shelter, meet a dog or cat, and bring the love of a pet into your home. All adopted pets will be spayed or neutered, will receive required inoculations, and will be microchipped. These are included in adoption fees.
- The adoption fee for dogs and cats is $25.
You no longer need an appointment to visit the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter during regular business hours. Also, an appointment is no longer required to meet our dogs and cats in our meet-and-greet area! Please come in and visit us, and find your new forever family member!
The Adoption Process
- Please complete the Adoption Application and provide two non-related personal references and a veterinary reference if you have previously owned pets.
- Consult with one of our adoption staff members prior to meeting animals for a history of the animal.
- All household members must meet the animals you are interested in to ensure a correct match.
- If you have a dog, a dog-to-dog "meet and greet" is required. Your dog MUST be up-to-date on their rabies vaccine unless a letter can be provided by your veterinarian stating it is not recommended.
- If you have a cat, you must provide a history of veterinary care.
- All of our animals are altered, medically checked, current with age-appropriate vaccinations, behaviorally evaluated, and provided with a microchip before adoption.
- Incomplete applications or applicants who have not completed the adoption process cannot be considered or approved.
- We DO NOT HOLD animals.
- Adoption fees are waived year-round for seniors, veterans, physically challenged residents, volunteer firefighters, and auxiliary police officers. Adoption fees may also be waived during various special events.
- Depending on the dog or cat's availability, some pets may not be ready for immediate release. We are an "open admission" shelter and receive animals 24/7. Please check back often!
When Finalizing an Adoption
- You must provide a photo ID with proof of current address.
- Only cash or personal checks are accepted forms of payment.
- If you are adopting a dog, please bring your own leash and collar.
- If you are adopting a cat, please bring your own carrier.
- Download an Adoption Application.
- Please send the completed application to our adoption email or fax to (516) 785-0129.
- Visit the Petango adoption website.
Promoting Healthful Environments for Animals
View the Adopted Resolution (PDF), Local Law 36-2020 to Amend Subsection "E" of Section 152-10 of the Code of the Town of Hempstead.
Please view the adoptable pets from the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter below.